Green Living, Lifestyle

Life in plastic, it’s (NOT) fantastic

Social media campaigns have kind of taken over my life just lately. Last month I took part in The Wildlife Trust’s #30dayswild initiative and this month I’m trying to reduce my plastic usage for #plasticfreejuly. Both campaigns have blown my mind.

Being ‘wild’ for 30 days made me fall in love with our planet. My surroundings. My home. My children’s home. I’m ashamed to say that up until recently this big rock we call Earth was merely just a place I inhabited. This planet is where I was born, where I would live and where I would die. I lived without thinking too much about my impact on it. I also lived without thinking too much about the other creatures who we share the planet with and how my actions does/and will affect them.

I feel like I’ve had a wake up call. A sudden slap across the face from the hand of reality. What I do makes a difference. My actions count. And so does yours.

I want to do better. I want to be greener. I’m desperate to make positive changes in the way that I live.

But I’m also overwhelmed.

I’m overcome with guilt and frustration.

I feel so guilty for every time I’ve bought my kids some plastic tat they’ve played with for all of two minutes. Because let’s face it, kids AREN’T as interested in toys as we like to think.

I feel guilty for the God-knows-how-many toothbrushes I’ve sent to landfill in my 30 years.

I feel guilty for all the times I’ve used plastic carrier bags because I couldn’t be bothered to carry around a reusable bag.

I feel guilty for every time I’ve bought a bottle of water when I could have just drank water from a tap.

And don’t get me started on the nappies…

There’s. so. much. guilt.

I get frustrated when I stand in the park, pushing my daughter on the swings, and see litter all over the floor. How can I make a difference when other people seemingly don’t care at all? And am I really any better just because I put my rubbish in the bin? It still ends up in a hole in the ground. What difference does it make?

I get frustrated because when I go to the supermarket almost every single friggin’ thing is covered in plastic. My online food shop came the other day and I kid you not, my bananas were bubble wrapped. Bubble wrapped?! If only bananas came in their own protective layer… oh wait.

I get frustrated because I want to be better. Do better. But I don’t know where to start.

I look around my home and the mere sight of plastic sets my teeth on edge.

I can’t live like this anymore.

I need to set aside the guilt (I can’t undo what’s been done) and the frustration (it’s only getting in my way) and take small steps in the direction of a greener, more eco-friendly lifestyle.

I want to be better. I want to do better.

*Life in plastic. It’s (not) fantastic.

Jenna xx

{ Find me on: BloglovinInstagramTwitter & YouTube }

*Never thought I’d paraphrase the song ‘Barbie Girl’ in a blog post but hey!

Shares 0
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply Debbie July 5, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Oh my the guilt is so real isn’t it. I was watching someone on Insta stories the other day talking about her recycling and how she was trying to cut her waste down and it really made me realise how much I throw out. I’m now questioning nappies and kitchen wipes and bottles of water. The nappies especially are getting ridiculous. I actually have to give my mum some rubbish to take home with her as our bins get so full. I’d love to read about what changes you’re going to make to do better.

Debbie x
    Debbie recently posted…Fitness Trackers for Skinny Wrists – is there such a thing?My Profile

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 6, 2017 at 9:32 am

Our black bins are being cut down to half size in the Autumn so we were looking to reduce our waste anyway, but now even more so. It’s mostly nappies that go into our bin – as we have two children wearing disposables. We’re hoping to have J potty trained very soon and I’ve just bought a garden compost bin and we’re switching to Gnappies for E as the inserts (wet ones) can go in the compost bin. That should make a huge difference and I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I’ll definitely write a blog post about how we get on and what else we’re doing to make positive, greener changes. xx

• Reply Laura Stevens July 17, 2017 at 10:30 am

I think we could all become a little more greener to be honest. Bubble wrapping bananas, seriously?! All the plastic toys that I’ve bought that just sit there. I’m slowly introducing more wooden ones. We do recycle so much though which makes me feel a little less guilty but there’s always room for improvement xx

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 17, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Totally, as cliche as it sounds – it’s all the small changes that make a big difference. If we all did our bit, we’d leave the world in a much nicer state for our babies. xx

• Reply Gee Gardner July 17, 2017 at 10:57 am

I’m using so many disposable nappies this time around after using cloth with my first and the guilt is real. I really need to get my act into gear and dig out our cloth.

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 17, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Do it – cloth nappies are so much prettier than disposables and even better that you already have a stash! :) I’m just starting to switch to cloth (always used disposables with my firstborn) and now that I’m in the swing of it, I can’t see us going back. x

• Reply Rachelanne_bee July 17, 2017 at 11:23 am

Love this post. We’re always trying to do our bit but it seems for every little bit we do, the world takes one giant step backwards.

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 17, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Absolutely, it’s very frustrating but I’m determined not to let it get me down.

As Gandhi said “Be the change you want to see in the world.” :) xx

• Reply Alice July 17, 2017 at 7:55 pm

There’s so much more we could do on top of what we already do. I feel like until huge companies admit their wrong doing we’re going round in circles xx

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 17, 2017 at 8:13 pm

There’s A LOT more big companies could be doing. It’s very frustrating. :( x

• Reply The Breastest News July 17, 2017 at 9:40 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I feel like doing a beach clean up to cleanse me of my guilt, will get the kids involved too. Might have to look into a local one asap. Even a small step makes a big difference.
    The Breastest News recently posted…Egg-citing Fun with Moshi Monsters Egg Hunt Mobile Game & Trading CardsMy Profile

• Reply Sarah July 18, 2017 at 9:39 am

its extremely hard to be green when so many things on sale are always in unnecessary packaging, plus our local council who was going to supply us a green bin for the kitchen…. 6 years ago, never helped so weve had to source our own.. damn annoying

• Reply Sophia July 18, 2017 at 9:57 am

Great post raising awareness of an important issue not many of us consider when buying ‘things’ xo

• Reply Heledd @ yummyblogger July 21, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Great post, was nodding along to all of it! I HATE how much packaging comes with everything!
    I’ve recently started taking a cup in yo coffee shops, and I always try and use a water bottle instead of bottled… but then that goes out of the window with a meal deal!
    But there’s loads more I could do… the amount of wet wipes we get through… jeez!!
    Heledd @ yummyblogger recently posted…Baby S turns 1!My Profile

• Jenna
      Reply Jenna July 26, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Thanks, chick. It’s ridiculous, isn’t it?

Oh yes – wet wipes and kitchen roll are my downfalls – would love to find some good alternatives for those. xx