Upright birth – 7 reasons why you should have one!

Why do I want an upright birth? Well, with the impending birth of my second baby (my due date is in a matter of days – eek!), I’ve been giving a lot of thought to my previous labour experience with Jasmine. You can read her birth story here. However, the short version is that I did most of my labouring at home, stood up at the bottom of the stairs, swaying my hips gently side to side. Being active and upright, I believe, is the reason that my first stage of my labour took a relatively short time (given that it was also my first baby).

My biggest regret about Jasmine’s birth was that I then went on to spend the entirety of my second stage of labour (pushing baby out), laying down flat on a hospital bed. The only reason for that was because when I arrived at the birthing unit (fully dilated!), the midwife asked me to get on the bed. I didn’t question it, I just did it. The pushing stage seemed to last forever and I’m sure the fact that I was horizontal was a big factor for things slowing down.

My Daisy Birthing teacher put it brilliantly when she explained why laying down during labour makes it tougher for baby. “Imagine trying to put on a pair of tight, skinny jeans whilst laying flat on your back… think about how difficult it would be compared to putting them on whilst standing up.” And she’s right, in the same way that you or I would struggle to do that laying down, baby will struggle to make their way down the birth canal. When it comes to giving birth, gravity is your friend!

This time around, I’m planning to take charge of my labour and stay upright as much as possible, particularly during the pushing stage. (You can read my birth plan here.)

I was recently sent a fantastic birthing aid called the CUB support. (CUB standing for ‘Comfortable Upright Birth’.) I’ve been trying out the CUB over the last few weeks, practicing different positions and finding out what I think might work for me during my labour. It’s comfortable and far more stable than a birthing ball. Oh and because it’s inflatable (I inflated mine in about 4 minutes), it’s portable – meaning you can use it no matter where you are choosing to give birth. I certainly think it’s going to be a fab addition to my homebirth kit!

img_5599

The lovely CUB team (who are qualified midwives and healthcare professionals) have created some fantastic infographics that I wanted to share with my readers:

7 reasons to have an upright birth

2.2

3.3

5.5

6.6

7.7

If you would like to find out more about the benefits of upright birthing then do check out the CUB website where you’ll find a wealth of information.

You can also purchase the CUB from Amazon.co.uk using this link*:

I’d love to hear any experiences my readers have in regards to upright births!

* This post contains an affiliate link.

Comments

1. Avatar November 19, 2016 / 9:41 pm

Wow, this is an interesting read as I’m pregnant with my first baby. I think if the midwife told me to lay on the bed, I would too as I don’t know any different and I feel in their hands. Great advice and something I will bear in mind, when the time comes.

Lyndsay | Fizzy Peaches Travel & Lifestyle Blog

• Jenna November 19, 2016 / 9:59 pm

I’m glad you found it an interesting read, Lyndsay. :) I think the problem is, laying on your back makes the midwife’s job easier as that way they can see everything that’s going on and that’s why, traditionally, women birthed babies laying down. I think I got unlucky though because all the midwives I’ve talked to during this pregnancy have been very encouraging about having an active, upright birth. xx

2. Avatar November 25, 2016 / 8:18 pm

I wanted to stay upright in my second birth but was is in so much pain I just gave in to being on the bed. My daughter then had shoulder dystocia and I do wonder if it would have happened if I hadn’t been lying down. But then in my first birth I was upright in the pool, pushing for 3 hours and evenutally needed assistance, so I’m not sure!

3. Avatar November 25, 2016 / 8:51 pm

As soon as I rolled into this position my daughter was born. I wish I’d done it hours before!!! Laying on my back definitely prevented Evie from coming down the ‘canal’. Next time I’ll be doing it like this from the start. x

4. Avatar November 27, 2016 / 8:05 pm

I was on my back for the first, but upright for the second and it was soooooo much easier / quicker / more enjoyable.

5. Avatar November 27, 2016 / 10:02 pm

This sounds fantastic! As soon as I got upright my labour went so much better, so this sounds a great aid for labour.

6. Avatar November 27, 2016 / 10:02 pm

I wish i’d have had this option with my two but unfortunately the first made a surprise entrance 10 weeks early and the second was delivered by emergency c-section! Labour never quite goes the way you plan! Great informative advice here though. xx

7. Avatar December 2, 2016 / 4:17 pm

Well that’s interesting. I didn’t wanna move. Lol I went to the toilet a lot on my second during labour so I suppose you could call that upright. Ha

8. Avatar December 7, 2016 / 12:14 pm

I was upright for my second birth and it all went by so very fast! Hope all will be well and very quick for your second as well.xx