My sweet girl is another month older. I have to admit, the last month has certainly had it’s challenges (more on that in a minute) but I am loving seeing Jasmine’s character develop more and more every day.
The weather has been atrocious this month so we have spent way more time indoors than we both would have liked but I like to think that we have made the best of it. In fact, being away from all of the distractions of every day life, I feel like I’ve gotten to know what really makes her ‘tick’.
Jasmine is happiest when she’s outdoors – whether that be out in the garden playing football (she’s pretty good at it too!) or out on one of our walks. She spends most of her time looking up at the sky as she is fascinated by flying things – namely birds and planes.
So what’s new this month….
It’s been a good month for sleeping (always worried I’m going to jinx it when I say things like that). Jasmine generally sleeps from 7pm to 7am. She has mostly dropped her afternoon nap now but still has one from time to time. Instead, she goes back to bed around 10am for around an hour and half, and then she’s up until bedtime. I’d like to try and move the nap back a bit later so that it’s more in the middle of the day as she does end up being a tad crotchety in the afternoons.
This last month has been certainly been challenging when it has come to feeding Jasmine. In fact, I will go as far to say that it’s been more stressful at meal times lately than it was when we first started weaning. I’ve had to do a lot of deep breathing and counting to ten, as Jasmine chucks her entire dinner on the floor… again. The fussiness that had started last month has only gotten worse.
Dinner times tend to be the worst meal of the day and Jasmine will pull faces at anything I present to her that isn’t pasta-based.
She also prefers to snack of food rather than have proper meals. She’d happily pick at food all day long if I let her. I’m trying to cut down on the snacks so that she has more of an appetite at meal times – with varying success.
It’s not all bad though, this month Jasmine has gotten so much better at using her cutlery. She still ends up using her spoon the wrong way round most of the time but her hand-eye coordination is getting much better. I just wish she would use these new-found skills to direct the food to her mouth, rather than flinging it across the kitchen.
Enjoying a meal. Pasta-based, obvs!
This month Jasmine:
- Visited a splash park for the first time and had an absolute ball!
- Has showed the first signs of using imagantive play – she pretended to pour liquid from an empty bottle into some cups.
- Seems to have regressed in terms of language and speech. Last month she had finally started using a few words, this month she’s barely used any at all and instead just uses grunts, screams and signs to express herself.
- Learned how to sign ‘Motorbike’ and ‘Biscuit’.
- Has gotten better and better at walking longer distances. She doesn’t fall over so much now and always impresses with me with how far she can walk (even if it’s not always in the right direction).
- Became a bit obsessed with In the Night Garden. When it starts she will grab my hand and spin her forefinger in circles on my palm like they do in the opening credits. It makes me melt every time.
- Loved getting cuddles from Nanny L when she visited over Bank Holiday weekend.
- Got her first pack of crayons and loves drawing with them.
- Enjoyed the makeshift beach at Bury Food Festival.
I wanted to include this video that Stephen filmed of Jasmine on his phone. He had it set to selfie screen mode and I love the way Jasmine reacts to it, trying to figure out who the little girl is that’s staring back at her. Some of the expressions and noises she makes are priceless:
Likes: her toy cars, Bunny, In the Night Garden, Pasta, bath time, going for walks, wearing her backpack, planes, birds, dancing to music.
Dislikes: having dirty hands, having her face washed, being taken out of the bath, nappy changes.
The next month is sure to be an exciting one as we have family holiday to look forward to and Jasmine will be starting nursery! Hold me.