Jasmine’s 17 month update

Jasmine’s 17 month update

My sweet girl is another month older. I have to admit, the last month has certainly had it’s challenges (more on that in a minute) but I am loving seeing Jasmine’s character develop more and more every day.

The weather has been atrocious this month so we have spent way more time indoors than we both would have liked but I like to think that we have made the best of it. In fact, being away from all of the distractions of every day life, I feel like I’ve gotten to know what really makes her ‘tick’.

Jasmine is happiest when she’s outdoors – whether that be out in the garden playing football (she’s pretty good at it too!) or out on one of our walks. She spends most of her time looking up at the sky as she is fascinated by flying things – namely birds and planes.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

So what’s new this month….

Sleeping:

It’s been a good month for sleeping (always worried I’m going to jinx it when I say things like that). Jasmine generally sleeps from 7pm to 7am. She has mostly dropped her afternoon nap now but still has one from time to time. Instead, she goes back to bed around 10am for around an hour and half, and then she’s up until bedtime. I’d like to try and move the nap back a bit later so that it’s more in the middle of the day as she does end up being a tad crotchety in the afternoons.

Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

Eating:

This last month has been certainly been challenging when it has come to feeding Jasmine. In fact, I will go as far to say that it’s been more stressful at meal times lately than it was when we first started weaning. I’ve had to do a lot of deep breathing and counting to ten, as Jasmine chucks her entire dinner on the floor… again. The fussiness that had started last month has only gotten worse.

Dinner times tend to be the worst meal of the day and Jasmine will pull faces at anything I present to her that isn’t pasta-based.

She also prefers to snack of food rather than have proper meals. She’d happily pick at food all day long if I let her. I’m trying to cut down on the snacks so that she has more of an appetite at meal times – with varying success.

It’s not all bad though, this month Jasmine has gotten so much better at using her cutlery. She still ends up using her spoon the wrong way round most of the time but her hand-eye coordination is getting much better. I just wish she would use these new-found skills to direct the food to her mouth, rather than flinging it across the kitchen.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Enjoying a meal. Pasta-based, obvs!

This month Jasmine:

• Visited a splash park for the first time and had an absolute ball!
  • Has showed the first signs of using imagantive play – she pretended to pour liquid from an empty bottle into some cups.
  • Seems to have regressed in terms of language and speech. Last month she had finally started using a few words, this month she’s barely used any at all and instead just uses grunts, screams and signs to express herself.
  • Learned how to sign ‘Motorbike’ and ‘Biscuit’.
  • Has gotten better and better at walking longer distances. She doesn’t fall over so much now and always impresses with me with how far she can walk (even if it’s not always in the right direction).
  • Became a bit obsessed with In the Night Garden. When it starts she will grab my hand and spin her forefinger in circles on my palm like they do in the opening credits. It makes me melt every time.
  • Loved getting cuddles from Nanny L when she visited over Bank Holiday weekend.
  • Got her first pack of crayons and loves drawing with them.

I wanted to include this video that Stephen filmed of Jasmine on his phone. He had it set to selfie screen mode and I love the way Jasmine reacts to it, trying to figure out who the little girl is that’s staring back at her. Some of the expressions and noises she makes are priceless:

Likes: her toy cars, Bunny, In the Night Garden, Pasta, bath time, going for walks, wearing her backpack, planes, birds, dancing to music.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Dislikes: having dirty hands, having her face washed, being taken out of the bath, nappy changes.

The next month is sure to be an exciting one as we have family holiday to look forward to and Jasmine will be starting nursery! Hold me.

Want to read more of Jasmine’s monthly updates? Click here.
Share:

22 Comments

1. September 2, 2015 / 12:15 pm

A little girl after my own heart…12 hours of sleep a night and only eats pasta. Oh and loves to be outside.

Love the video, super cute. This is a great idea to look back at how far Jasmine has come over the years.

I hope her fussy feeding stops soon for you. We too are currently staying in doors more than usual. But like with Jasmine, I’m finding out loads of new lovely things about Henry. I guess the rain isn’t too bad after all.

Renee @Peonieandme #bestandworst x

Jenna
      Author
      September 3, 2015 / 10:13 am

Haha, I know, right? She is living the dream.

Exactly, I love writing these updates as I already find it astounding how much changes in the space of a few months or so. Years from now, it’s going to be so fun to look back on these together.

I’m glad you’re enjoying getting to know little Henry better. xx

2. September 2, 2015 / 12:28 pm

She’s so close in age with Emma it’s great seeing what she’s up to! Emma hates having her hands dirty too but will happily make a right mess with her food only to demand that I wipe them afterwards! She’s so cute, love the photo of her eating x #kidscorner

Jenna
      Author
      September 3, 2015 / 10:23 am

I know what you mean, always lovely to read about kids of a similar age to Jasmine. The thing with Jasmine is, she hates having dirty hands but also hates me wiping them! I can’t win. :) Heh, I think the eating photo is one of my faves this month. xx

3. September 2, 2015 / 9:05 pm

I love reading your monthly updates, she really does sound adorable! My 17 month old is doing similar things and I completely relate to the meal time stress!

Jenna
      Author
      September 3, 2015 / 10:25 am

Thank you, Claire. She is adorable… most of the time. ;)

Oh the meal time stress is not fun but hopefully it will pass soon! xx

4. September 3, 2015 / 4:04 pm

Ahhh she’s so cute and at that lovely (but tiring) age of developing so much! She looks a sweet but cheeky little one, I look forward to reading more about her. Thanks for linking up to the #bestandworst hope you’ll pop by again! xx

Jenna
      Author
      September 4, 2015 / 11:18 am

It certainly is a lovely (but tiring) age. Yup, you’ve totally got it – she is sweet but cheeky. :)

Thanks for hosting. xx

5. September 4, 2015 / 11:13 am

oh Jenna she is super cute! I can’t wait for Edith to get to this stage, she’s currently 7 months and already trying to walk and talk… So much faster than the boys! X

Jenna
      Author
      September 4, 2015 / 11:25 am

Aw, thanks Harriet.

Cor blimey, sounds like you’re going to have a toddler on your hands before you know it!! :) xx

6. September 5, 2015 / 8:17 pm

What a great month for sleeping, that is brilliant! Let’s hope she keeps that up. I would try not to worry about the eating patterns to be honest, they are all so different and my son ate and ate and still does, whereas Flo just picks at things mainly and likes to snack her way through the day. I’m told that’s normal for some kids so just going with it, she certainly isn’t losing weight! Jasmine is gorgeous. xx

Jenna
      Author
      September 5, 2015 / 9:12 pm

Haha no, she certainly isn’t losing any weight that’s for sure. :) You’re right, I guess I shouldn’t worry too much about the eating habits. xx

7. September 5, 2015 / 9:57 pm

Aww she’s so flippin’ adorable Jenna! And I really hope you haven’t jinxed yourself with her great sleeping. :-)

Bubs was horribly picky about her food and would spit out anything that wasn’t tinned Peppa Pig pasta or ham sandwiches. I was at my wits end and meal times were so stressful I’d feel sick at the thought of them. Then I was given a great piece of advice which was to stop focussing on what she ate (or didn’t) at each meal and instead think about what she’d eaten over the whole day – snacks included. It helped take the stress out of it all.

Jenna
      Author
      September 6, 2015 / 9:27 pm

Aw, thank you Vickie – I will tell her you said so. :)

That is a really good tip, perhaps I should make a little note of everything she eats and read it back at the end of the day. It will probably surprise me just how much she has actually eaten.

It’s all the clearing food off the floor after each meal that drives me nuts too. She’s been a bit better this week though and hasn’t thrown so much on the floor so hopefully she’s over that phase! xx

8. September 8, 2015 / 1:17 pm

Eeek that first photo of Jasmine is stunning. I know what you mean about Jasmine being happiest outdoors, I’m starting to see a change in Penelope when shes outdoors, it uplifts her whole mood for the day, we stayed in for the full day last week as i was unwell. Bad choice, i think i should have dragged my sorry butt outside still and it would have made for an easier day! lol x

Jenna
      Author
      September 9, 2015 / 9:24 pm

Haha – it’s so true! If we stay in, I always end up paying for it later. I’m glad Penelope is enjoying the great outdoors too – I think it’s where children really come alive. :) xx

9. September 8, 2015 / 7:34 pm

This is such a lovely round up of her month – it has been a busy one! LJ has an aversion to cutlery but hates messy hands, silly girl! Thanks for sharing in #KidsCorner x

Jenna
      Author
      September 9, 2015 / 9:27 pm

Thanks Katy – yeah, it really was a busy one.

Haha, that is funny – Jasmine hates having her hands wiped so I can’t win! xx

10. September 8, 2015 / 7:56 pm

I had the same foodie troubles with Lottie recently thankfully she seems to have gotten over it now so hopefully won’t be too long till Jasmin does as well. Love her reaction on video it’s hilarious! Thanks for sharing on #kidscorner

Jenna
      Author
      September 9, 2015 / 9:29 pm

OK that gives me some hope. To be honest, she’s improved quite a bit even since I wrote this update so hopefully it was just a bit of a phase she was going through.

I know, I’ve watched that video backs so many times – she cracks me up! :) xx

11. September 12, 2015 / 11:39 pm

Nursery?! Oh mummy bear! I’m here waiting with tissues!
    The fussiness with food and funny nap times is her age. Little Miss did the same and has now started to eat for England again and naps at about 1 pm for an hour or so now that she nearly two xx

Jenna
      Author
      September 13, 2015 / 6:43 pm

Yup, she starts in two days time. Arrrghh!

I’m pleased to hear it was just a phase with Little Miss, Jasmine already seems to be eating a bit better at the moment so fingers crossed it stays that way. xx